Slowhand84's Recording Journey (new Clip!)

Discussion in 'Windows Recording' started by slowhand84, May 18, 2020.

1. slowhand84

slowhand84 Well-Known Member

Hello AGF amigos! So given that we are all stuck inside for an as yet undetermined period of time, I've decided it's finally time to dive into recording a little bit and see if I can't make some OK-sounding stuff with me myself and I as recording engineer, producer, etc. Don't worry, I am just as afraid of the results as you are, and mistakes in my playing will always be included free of charge :LOL:.

Never really done anything with recording before short of clicking the "memo" button on my iPhone before I start playing - so any tips, tricks, suggestions of things to consider buying (or better still, ways to improve on things)...all quite welcome! I know we have lots of very knowledgeable folks here and I'm sure I can learn a lot from your input.

I'm running a super basic setup here...just using a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 with a cheap mic that was included with it (SM Pro G1) on the cab. Recording into Audacity. One thing I've been told for sure is to buy an SM57, but if anyone has other mic recommendations I'm all ears.

The particular clip I'll share first was recorded late this evening in just one fairly quiet take...so another thing I'm definitely sure of is that I can probably get a better recording than this if things were cranked up a bit louder.

Anyhoo, here's a little jam over a John Mayer style backing track I found tonight. I always hear folks saying that there are tons of recordings of the Kiesel headless models mostly playing djenty metal and nothing else, so I figured I'd leave the djent out of this one and do something a tad different.

Guitar is my first custom ordered Kiesel V6 Vader with a black limba neck and body, buckeye burl top, and ebony fretboard...definitely my favorite guitar in the stable.

a6ccdf9e5951f7a4b38f5fb36d7bbf5e.jpg

Signal chain is listed in the link below along with the audio clip...hoping this works for everyone but if not, let me know!

https://clyp.it/zx5dxwm2?token=d7a74833d9745e272406c1b66d7e47d1

Last edited: May 18, 2020
  2. slowhand84

Help Slowhand suck less at recording bump :)

3. tonray

tonray Well-Known Member Supporting Member+

Sounds great. What I like is that both the rhythm and lead are very articulate and neither drowns out the other. I'm waiting for some home improvements to set up my mini jam room, have to paint first ..arghhh

slowhand84 and tvvoodoo like this.

4. toomanycats

toomanycats Well-Known Member

Very pleasing mix. Love your playing. Very lyrical lines with killer bends and vibrato.

fullonshred and slowhand84 like this.
  5. tvvoodoo

tvvoodoo Well-Known Member

Melodic and never boring that was, and you left me wanting more!

slowhand84 likes this.
  6. Chad

Chad Well-Known Member

Nice playing, I like it

slowhand84 likes this.
  7. jhull54

jhull54 Well-Known Member

Great feel. Very carefree and great tone and chops.

slowhand84 likes this.
  8. slowhand84

Thank you for the kind words gentlemen! Going to do some clean clips of the Vader next, maybe rock a little BB King style blues. Despite their popularity with the metal crowd these guitars are remarkably versatile!

toomanycats likes this.
  9. slowhand84

Thanks man! Made much easier to play by the sweet matching Velociraptor Well-Hung strap :grinning:

tvvoodoo likes this.
  10. sabasgr68

sabasgr68 Well-Known Member

It sounded very good, as did your playing.

If I´m not wrong, both rhythm and lead guitar are centered. Neither one obscures the other; still, before exporting the final track, you can try and experiment having them panned to different sides, and give it a more sense of space around them, a spatial sense. You can try maybe lead panned at 20% to the right and rhythm at 50% to the left. Or 50% both at left and right. Or split the rhythm track and have the right and left sides of it at 90% each, and leave the lead track in the middle. Or Rhythm 100% to the left and lead 100% to the right. Many options to try and see if you like how they sound. Personally, I like how different guitars sound on different sides. I use Audacity too.

This is just a suggestion. As I said, I think it came out very good, well balanced, and well played.

Keep them coming!:thumbsup:

fullonshred likes this.
  11. slowhand84

That's an awesome suggestion sabas, thank you! I'm going to try all of that as I continue expanding on the basics here. Appreciate you taking a listen!

sabasgr68 likes this.
  12. fullonshred

fullonshred Well-Known Member

I enjoyed that. I have no recording tips to offer, I think SABAS made some good ones.

Was the lead totally off the cuff, or planned out, or a combination of both?

sabasgr68 and slowhand84 like this.
  13. slowhand84

He certainly did, and thank you! This was totally improvised on the spot in one take. I don't typically plan anything out when I play, I really prefer the spontaneity of just playing and seeing what comes out.

sabasgr68 and fullonshred like this.
  14. slowhand84

Back at it again! Here's a little bit of BB style blues, this one featuring the Agile AS-1000 with Bareknuckle Mules.

Clip here: https://clyp.it/suqaqeb4

Last edited: May 19, 2020
    toomanycats likes this.
  15. slowhand84

And guitar here, with it's stunning @tvvoodoo Well-Hung strap!

28c4d9da5267d420a753c07de59b0772.jpg

tvvoodoo likes this.
  16. tvvoodoo

tvvoodoo Well-Known Member

I was digging that, again too short man. One tip I can give you, if you really want to give us the truly sad & painful blues feels, you should probably put on a much less comfortable strap :-D

slowhand84 likes this.
  17. slowhand84

I actually only wear your beautiful straps when I stand and I happened to be sitting for this clip, so it’s guaranteed authentic ;).

Will try to do some longer clips very soon and some entire tracks too that I’m working on for an album (my own writing, not just improvising over backing tracks for fun). I’m still kinda just testing out my equipment and learning the ropes. Thanks man!

tvvoodoo likes this.
  18. slowhand84

Up next (hopefully later on today) - an all-original nice n' heavy 7 string tune I'm workin' on with the Kiesel V7X Vader :smilingimp:

adb78076f5a4f2872c1a1418c3fa9ecf.jpg

RockYoWorld likes this.
  19. RockYoWorld

RockYoWorld Well-Known Member

Keep it up! The only thing I recommend is start learning how to use a full DAW such as Reaper (I recommend), Logic, Cubase, etc. I started with Audacity, which is a great free audio tool to do simple tasks, but doesn't work great for scaling things, especially how the effects work on it. You can use Reaper for free, and even then, the license is only $60, which is really cheap compared to the others.

It might take a little bit more time to start to learn a DAW, but you'll find it much easier to work with creatively later. Then you can learn EQ, compression, and all sorts of fun stuff!

slowhand84 likes this.
  20. slowhand84

Great advice, thank you! I don’t actually use any effects within any software or anything as I have all that from my pedalboard, but I can appreciate how those things can help fine-tune a track even further.

Reaper has been recommended to me multiple times as something thats versatile and pretty user friendly, so gonna look into that. First I wanna learn to make things as great as I can just with Audacity, but a more full featured DAW is next.

Also got a new mic on the way - went with a Sennheiser E906 :)

RockYoWorld likes this.